Sunyu professionals can design, write, edit, and produce numerous technical publications for a wide variety of industries, including industrial machinery, medical, electrical, aviation, computer software and hardware, and so on.
Our skilled writers know how to write about technical subjects clearly and effectively. They use the principles of Simplified Technical English (STE), which is a form of controlled authoring, to achieve this objective in technical documentation.
What is controlled authoring?
The key reason for using controlled authoring is to make technical text easy to understand.
Controlled authoring standardizes vocabulary and style to improve consistency, eliminate ambiguity, and reduce complexity. It also provides objective criteria for quality control. Controlled authoring includes a general dictionary and a set of writing rules. In addition to the general vocabulary, companies can define their own technical names (terminology).
Why use a controlled language?
In today's business, clear and consistent authoring is a necessity: English has become the main language used throughout the world for technical documentation, but it can be difficult to understand because the documentation is often poorly written and overly complex in its structure. Inconsistent terminology and use of synonyms or words that have multiple meanings can easily result in confusion for the reader, especially non-native English speakers. In addition, many readers' command of English can be below the level of those who created the documentation (technical writers and engineers).
Benefits of Controlled Language：
- Provides a standardized way of writing
- Eliminates confusion because each word has only one meaning assigned to it
- Enables more efficient authoring
- Improves safety because text is unambiguous
- Facilitates XML, content management, and structured authoring
- Provides metrics for quality assurance and improvement
- Reduces time to market
- Provides an improved customer experience
- Facilitates cheaper, faster, and better translations because translators don't have to deal with ambiguous text
- Provides considerable cost savings
Why use the Simplified Technical English (STE) specification as a basis?
There are many guidelines or corporate style guides available when you decide to implement a controlled language for your technical publications. Choosing the Simplified Technical English (STE) specification as a basis, however, offers many benefits:
- STE is derived from an aerospace and defense standard (ASD-STE100), which applies to almost all standards that we know today, as these industries are subject to the highest levels of quality and safety and involve technology from many industries.
- STE is an international standard that was designed by companies worldwide to make technical text easy to understand by both native and non-native English speakers.
- STE strictly adheres to 57 writing rules and a limited vocabulary of approx. 900 approved words and approximately 2,000 non-approved words that have assigned synonyms. STE also allows companies to define their own terminology as required so that companies in any industry can use this well-maintained standard and not have to "reinvent the wheel."
Why Choose Us
Sunyu employs over 400 translators and several patent agents, of whom more than 70% have earned a Master's degree or above. Most of our translators have already acquired solid technical backgrounds and extensive field experience before joining Sunyu.
Sunyu has engaged in patent-related services for over ten years. In particular, we specialize in the multilingual translation of PCT documents. On average, we are able to handle the translation of over 10,000 PCT and OA cases every year. Over the years, we have translated more than 1.2 billion words.
Sunyu adheres to strict confidentiality policies and is committed to achieving complete document security.
Advanced Technical Support
Sunyu has developed its own information management system, computer-assisted translation (CAT) software, and a patent database to facilitate interaction between departments, improve the productivity of existing office procedures, and guarantee the confidentiality of all information that we receive from our clients.
At Sunyu, quality control (QC) is an important aspect of the entire work process. We have established a clear and systematic set of standard operating procedures (SOPs) to ensure the successful implementation of our QC procedures.